Friday, September 25, 2009

Mt Rushmore







Mt Rushmore- carving of four of our president's - Washington, Jefferson, Roosevelt & Lincoln and it was the work of sculptor Gutzon Borglum begun in 1927 and took only 14 years to complete but the difference being this was state funded and only cost -well back then it was a dear amount- nearly 1 million dollars! It is set up as a money maker now, definitely a different set up than Crazy Horse's display and theirs they will not accept any government money-it's strictly private contributions.
Oh Lauren & Ali-you'll be happy to know that the day we visited here one of the original workers a man named Nick was here signing autographs for a book he wrote about working on the faces -so we bought the book for you to read and had him autograph it for you girls :o) You can take it to school on day and show it. It tells how the faces were made and cut out of the side of the mountain.
We stayed at a cute campsite that was in the middle of all these places in Hill City but it was bad for internet and phone service so needless to say I was going a little batty after the second night....so don't know if it was nerves or still whatever is in my system but finally after trying for over 2 1/2 hrs to work and getting so frustrated i gave up and went to bed- in the middle of the night these welts came back a hellin and my face, back, arms and legs swelled so bad.... poor Joe wanted to rush me to a hospital but alas there was none nearby so I popped the pills I had leftover from my last visit and finally the swelling started to subside and we packed up the next morning and headed out a day early towards Wyoming and Vegas :o( My face looked as though I was bubbled from a burn and the welts are hives that are 2 and 3" big! I just can't figure this out and it hasn't affected my throat yet!!!! But, Joe has had it with wilderness our next stop is going to be near a hospital, lol
Update for my girls-so far we've been thru the following states...so mark them down for us on your map!
Ohio,Illinios,Missouri,Kansas,Nebraska,Wyoming

1 comment: